VGALIB has lead a long and meandering path, development has been an exercise of leveling up each of 3 different environments: PC hardware running DOS, SDL under Linux, and SDL under emscripten. Much of the early development was done in dosbox with the Borland C++ 3.1 IDE, but once I grew past the point of basic C++, using std::string, I had to abandon the BC3.1 IDE and go strictly to makefiles. It was during this time that using the BC3.1 IDE for editing (and it’s weird Brief key sequences) started to become an exercise in patience. I really enjoyed developing on Linux, since that’s what I’ve done for the last 25 years.
Moving to makefiles under DOS was no small feat, the issue is that dosbox is a best effort emulator for running games, but compatibility with Borland C++ 4 and later is sketchy causes crashes. I ended up creating a Windows 2000 VM with Virtualbox to compile VGALIB, but even that acts peculiar and cmd.exe requires End Task. Virtualbox doesn’t have guest additions for any 16bit legacy OSes, so Win2K is the oldest usable environment. My current development environment is Eclipse for the editing (with VIM plugin), Win2K to compile the DOS programs, and dosbox to run them. For Linux and emscripten I use Eclipse with command line make.
The reason my build environment is important to this article has to do with the development target that was most feature complete: SDL running on Linux. Palettized 8bit mode on SDL is really a pain to program to, much more so than straight RGB or RGBA, but it mimics the original IBM VGA 13h mode most closely. I implemented palette support as a matter of requirement when I added SDL support, since there there is no default palette. Until this time I hadn’t added hardware palette support to the VGA driver, I simply relied on the default VGA palette (which is fine for most things).Continue reading “Adding VGA hardware palette support”